SMEs can join in the standardization work directly via national TCs, thus influencing standardization at the European level. More information on technical committees and their work is provided on the website Technical Committees.
Indirectly, SMEs can participate in standardization via chambers and associations representing them in Slovenia; for this very purpose, we have set up within SIST a Micro and Small Enterprises Committee. More information on the work of this Committee is available at the MSE Committee's Coordinator, or on the MSE Committee's website under "Let's get to know each other".
The areas of work of the Micro and Small Enterprises Committee are as follows:
- Tracing the state of the art; providing information (at 50% discount), free training on the rules for placing products on the market, conducted by the Contact Point; providing abstracts of new Slovenian Standards in Slovenian; and participating in the preparation of standards interpretation documents;
- Developing strategies for the work of technical working bodies in preparing standards;
- Coordinating cooperation with the SIST Technical Councils, in particular in the areas of interest to MSEs;
- Taking part in the preparation of national positions for individual standards from the MSEs' point of view, and exerting influence on the voting;
- Providing training on proper use of European standards conducted by the SIST Contact Point; distributing circular letters, and the like;
- Participating in the preparation of standards interpretation documents, when there is interest;
- Providing training to MSE representatives for participation in preparing national, international and European standards – seminars organized by SIST;
- Setting up a system for absorption of European funds in support of MSE participation in European standardization;
- A Contact Point operates within the Slovenian Institute for Standardization, which provides free information to those interested on the applicable standards and regulations as well as other requirements to be met in order to place on the market safe and quality products only. In addition to providing information, the Contact Point prepares each year a one-day free seminar for the representatives of MSEs on the development of standards, and on the purpose of operation of the national organization for standardization.